"DESIGNS THAT REFLECT OUR
AMERICAN HERITAGE"

Welcome to my blog. I'm probably very much like all of you who love the needlearts. My life revolves around family, friends, home and all things that help to make for a more contented life. When time allows; cooking, gardening, decorating, and collecting are my joys. I look forward to sharing all of these things with you. I also hope to keep you up to date on what is going on at Homespun Elegance, in regard to the needlework designs and the "Plain & Fancy Wares" that we offer.

Wishing you "Many Happy Stitches".
Sandra

Sunday, September 12, 2010

What A Difference A Few Hours Make

Hello Everyone,
Hollis and I are back from our wonderful, relaxing, indulging
weekend in Nags Head, North Carolina.  The weather was
more than we could have hoped for.  Absolutely no humidity,
almost cloudless skies, and the most perfect ocean breezes.
I didn't even lug my umbrella and chairs to the beach.
The hotel provided them at a reasonable cost, so I
took advantage of that little luxury.  I must tell you that we
even had the famous "Duck Donuts" that we were told we
must have.  Oh, my gosh, were they good.  Thanks everyone
for telling me about them.
I have a few pictures to share.
lst night from our balcony
Hollis getting her feet wet
Me getting my feet wet.  
On our balcony
A beautiful morning
A late night sweet attack = room service!!

We came back to Richmond on Monday morning.
We were dreading awful traffic, but it really
wasn't too bad.  The trip down was a breeze.
No backups anywhere.  When we got home
we did some shopping for a baby shower
we were hosting for my nephew and his wife on 
Sunday and for some gifts for our dear friend Ethel's
80th birthday party.  We were feeling very good
about all we had accomplished and were about
one mile from Hollis' house and look at what 
happened to us.  
We are both very lucky.  The car hit us on my side,
but at the front of the car.  We also had damage to
the rear of the car.  I really do not understand how
that happened, but it did.
He did not stop for a stop sign.  I saw him coming
and he was probably going at least 30mph and
  obviously had no intention of stopping.  I screamed 
at Hollis and we were immediately hit and
shoved through the intersection into the oncoming
lanes.  We were so fortunate that no one was coming.
The air bags opened.  I actually thought the car
was on fire because of the smoke-like substance
in the car.  We got pretty banged up, but nothing life
threatening.  The airbags really hurt Hollis' chest
which was pretty scary and very painful.
It will take a while for the aches and pains to go
away, but we are so lucky.  A split second later
and he would have hit at the door and who knows what
kind of shape I would be in now.
 I hope the injuries to my shoulders are not long
lasting.  Believe it or not, I can still stitch, but working on
the computer has proved to be problematic along with
other duties that I must perform.
  I go to the doctor again on Tuesday.  I
 guess I will find out then what is really wrong with
my shoulders and what can be done about it.
We fear that our car was totaled.  I am
 really upset about that because it was paid for and I
planned to keep it for a few more years.
The other thing that I am upset about is that I had made
the decision to be a vendor at Norforgotten Farm's
Gathering next weekend and now I cannot be there.  
I was so looking forward to it.  I cannot drive and even if
I could my SUV is out of commission, I cannot finish all the
items I wanted to take, and I cannot set up my display
with two worthless shoulders.
Oh, well, maybe next year!!  
I will be putting  some of the things I had planned to take
there on the Blog and my Etsy site as soon as I can.
Many of you have asked when my new things will
be ready.  I am a little behind now, but hope to
show finished models in a few days.
I have emails and orders waiting and I am sorry.
Thank you for your patience.


Many Happy Stitches,
Sandra

18 comments:

  1. Sandra,
    I hope that the report from the Dr. is good and you recover quickly. So scary!!

    Best Wishes for a speedy recovery and easy replacement of your car.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sandra~~~ I am so glad it was no worse than it was! Still, you guys are left to pick up the pieces...I hope you dr visit is promising and soon you will be fully back in commission... Take care of yourself, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was enjoying going on vacation with you and then "WHAM"! I am so sorry about what happened to you. I hope you recovery quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a dreadful end to a wonderful weekend. Take care of yourself and try not to worry about emails and orders. Sorry you have to miss the sale. Hope all goes well at your doctor's appointment and you have quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How quickly life can change! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, Sandra. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you are both okay. I know you will be missed at the gathering but you should take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no! I'm so glad your injuries weren't any more serious, though! I understand about your disappointment for the show but there will be other opportunities; taking care of yourself comes first!

    Beautiful sea pics; looks like you had a lovely time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame this had to happen at the end of your holiday and so close to home too. I hope you and Hollis will be fully recovered soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - thank heavens you're (mostly) okay! What an awful way to end a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you are mostly ok! Hope the dr says your shoulder is just bumps and bruises! Sorry to see the damage to the car - thank goodness it happened at home. What a complete mess that would have been - rental cars and all! And as for the emails, orders, and the sale -- it will all wait and be ok!

    Hope you are feeling better soon! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an unfortunate end to your break. I hope you will both be well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad all is well you were blessed with safety. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to hear that for the most part you are both okay. What an unfortunate end to what looks like was a wonderful holiday.
    I had just finished paying for my car 2 yrs ago when I was hit and the car was totalled so I understand your frustration.
    I'll send some healing prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are both okay!!! Hope you figure out your pain and car issues quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sandra, what an awful ending to a perfect get-away. So glad neither of you was seriously injured. How disappointing that you are unable to go to Notforgotten Farm. Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, no, I am glad it wasn't worse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I;m so sorry you had such an awful ending to your wonderful week-end. Thankfully you and Hollis weren;t seriously injured. Hope you are both well soon. Take care, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had such a beautiful vacation! Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. And, then in a split second, due to someone else's bad decision your car may be totaled and you are hurting. How awful. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete